[Mingw-users] Time for a MinGW-GDB Upgrade?

Zurück zum Archiv-Index
Eli Zaretskii eliz****@gnu*****
Fri Jul 17 19:44:35 JST 2020

> From: Keith Marshall <keith****@users*****>
> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 09:07:53 +0100
>
> > Maybe it's worth reporting to gdb-p****@sourc*****, as a
> > potential bug.
>
> Will do.  Can I post as a guest, or do I need to subscribe?

You don't need to subscribe, but if you don't, it might be prudent to
ask to CC you when responding (though most of the people there will
even if you don't ask).

> >  CPPFLAGS=-I/mingw ./configure ...
>
> That is the archaic (pre autoconf-2.50, IIRC) way; contemporary autoconf
> wisdom would express it as
>
>   ./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/mingw/include ...
>
> (with the correction, as I posted later), but the effect should be the
> same either way, and yes ...
>
> > Did you try that?
>
> I did, (using the contemporary syntax); it doesn't work.  The reason is
> that most of GDB's configuration (in subdirectories) is deferred until
> the top level "make" is run, and the top level configure's notion of
> CPPFLAGS isn't propagated, through the "make" phase, to the subdirectory
> "configure" runs.

That sounds like another bug, because CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS set the same
way _are_ propagated.  And "/configure --help" at top level does
mention all of the variables, including CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS.
FWIW, I set CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS (using the archaic method) all the
time when I build GDB.