Foren: MIDITrail Message board (Thread #36535)

DirectX API error & crashes (2015-02-26 15:02 by Ray890 #75597)

Hey, I've sort of been MIDITrail off and on lately, however the biggest turn off for me is all of the crashing and errors that I keep getting, especially when I load larger MIDI files.

For example, I can not load files larger than 2 million notes, or else I get an error message like this before a crash:

DirectX API Error
Line 342
INFO: 8876017C FFFFFFFF

I assume that is possibly related to video memory overload? Also, Piano From Above has much lower video memory/resource footprint than MIDITrail with the same amount of MIDI notes, so I suspect there is a significant amount of inefficiency within the code.

Also I often tend to get lots of crashes without any error message, and rather goes directly to "This program stopped working", those which either happen randomly, or as soon as I click "x" to close the program.

I'd like to see those fixed, and perhaps it could be useful if your program had a crash handler system that could either produce crash log files, or let the user automatically send the crash reports to the dev end.

Thanks

Reply to #75597×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Anmelden

Re: DirectX API error & crashes (2015-02-26 15:27 by Ray890 #75598)

also while your at it, I'd like to have an black semi-transparent fill behind the MIDI Info text (or the full bottom section of the screen), so raining notes don't always have to get in the way of being able to read the text. Or at least have this as an option
Reply to #75597

Reply to #75598×

You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Anmelden

Re: DirectX API error & crashes (2015-03-22 01:22 by yknk #75794)

You can change the color of the text by customizing *.ini files. (CaptionRGBA)
But you can not change the color of the background of the text.
I will consider your request in future version.

Reply to #75598

Reply to #75794×

Re: DirectX API error & crashes (2015-03-22 01:02 by yknk #75793)

Thank you for your message.
I am sorry for the delay in my response.

> I assume that is possibly related to video memory overload?

The error means that "Direct3D does not have enough display memory
to perform the operation". (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMOR)

> Also, Piano From Above has much lower video memory/resource footprint
> than MIDITrail with thesame amount of MIDI notes, so I suspect there
> is a significant amount of inefficiency within the code.

MIDITrail renders ALL NOTEs every time.
Therefore, if the MIDI file has a large number of notes, it may exceed
the limits of the graphic card. Please check following thread.

Can you make MIDItrail 64-bit?
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/miditrail/forums/23361/34444/

I have some ideas about optimization. I would like to try it someday...

There is a tricky way. You can use MIDI IN Monitoring mode.
Other MIDI Player [OUT] --> [IN] MIDITrail(Monitoring mode)
In this way, MIDITrail does not have a limit on the number of notes.

Reply to #75597

Reply to #75793×

Re: DirectX API error & crashes (2015-04-17 06:44 by ray890 #75957)

[Reply To Message #75793]
> Thank you for your message.
> I am sorry for the delay in my response.
>
> > I assume that is possibly related to video memory overload?
>
> The error means that "Direct3D does not have enough display memory
> to perform the operation". (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMOR)
>
> > Also, Piano From Above has much lower video memory/resource footprint
> > than MIDITrail with thesame amount of MIDI notes, so I suspect there
> > is a significant amount of inefficiency within the code.
>
> MIDITrail renders ALL NOTEs every time.
> Therefore, if the MIDI file has a large number of notes, it may exceed
> the limits of the graphic card. Please check following thread.
>
> Can you make MIDItrail 64-bit?
> http://sourceforge.jp/projects/miditrail/forums/23361/34444/
>
> I have some ideas about optimization. I would like to try it someday...
>
> There is a tricky way. You can use MIDI IN Monitoring mode.
> Other MIDI Player [OUT] --> [IN] MIDITrail(Monitoring mode)
> In this way, MIDITrail does not have a limit on the number of notes.
>

Bingo! I didn't realize that I was not on the 64-bit version. I have changed to 64-bit version and this has been solved on my NVidia GTX 970 GPU that I just recently got (got the same error as my 840M had). As my laptop is out for repairs at the moment I haven't tried those two other GPUs yet. I think you should make it more clear that the 32-bit version is 32-bit.

Now with this working on my GTX 970, I can load MIDIs up to 8.1 million notes; any larger and the notes simply won't show but there is no crash. Yes, this is on stock MIDITrail-Ver.1.2.1b-Windows64.zip.

I have some ideas of my own for optimization, and I will create tickets for each of them.
Reply to #75793

Reply to #75957×

Re: DirectX API error & crashes (2015-04-29 15:58 by ray890 #76016)

Alright, I have created and opened up tickets for each issue I have with the software.
Reply to #75957

Reply to #76016×

Re: DirectX API error & crashes (2015-06-06 10:51 by ray890 #76281)

[Reply To Message #76016]
> Alright, I have created and opened up tickets for each issue I have with the software.
Reply to #76016

Reply to #76281×